According to technical terms, fire hydrants are called external fire hydrants which are normally found on the footpath of roads but mostly this question asked that where should fire hydrants be installed? what should be the location and distribution of fire hydrants as per NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) codes and standards? Here we will understand NFPA-1 edition 2018 requirements about fire hydrants’ location and distribution in a simple way.
NFPA-1 Fire Code Purpose and Application
The motive behind this Code is to endorse the least necessities important to build up a reasonable degree of fire, life security, and property assurance from the risks made by fire, explosion, and dangerous conditions. This Code will apply to both new and existing conditions.
Fire Hydrant Locations and Distribution
- Fire hydrants shall be provided for all new buildings, or buildings relocated into the authority except if in any case allowed.
- Fire hydrants will not be needed where the water distribution system isn’t appropriate for giving a fire flow of more than 500gpm at a residual pressure of 20psi.
- Fire hydrants will not be needed where the modification or extension of the water distribution system is considered to be unrealistic by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).
- Hydrants will be positioned on the two sides of the fire department access road on an alternating base where traffic counts of in excess of 30,000 vehicles each day.
- Fire hydrants will be situated not more than 12ft from the fire department access road.
Separated Single and Double family Homes
Fire hydrants will be accommodated for disconnected (separated) single and double family dwellings (homes) in accordance with the following and as shown in the below picture also for reference:
- The extreme distance to a fire hydrant from the nearest point on the dwelling will not surpass 600ft.
- The extreme distance between fire hydrants will not surpass 800ft.
Buildings except for separated Single and Double-family Homes
Fire hydrants will be accommodated for buildings other than disconnected (separated) single and double family dwellings (homes) in accordance with the following and as shown in the above picture also for reference:
- The extreme distance to a fire hydrant from the nearest point on the building will not surpass 400ft.
- The extreme distance between fire hydrants will not surpass 500ft.
Minimum Fire Hydrants and Maximum Fire Flow Capacity
The total fire flow capacity of all fire hydrants within 1000ft of the building shall be not less than the required fire flow determined in accordance with the above condition’s Section 18.4 as per NFPA-1.
The maximum fire flow capacity with regards to which a fire hydrant will be acknowledged will be as determined by Table 126.96.36.199. Capacities surpassing the values indicated in the Table will be allowed as determined by the local fire department.
Fire hydrants required shall be included in the minimum number of fire hydrants for fire flow required by the above conditions.
Clear Space Requirement Around Fire Hydrants
- 36 inches clear space shall be maintained around the circumference of fire hydrants.
- A clear space of at least 60 inches will be given in front of every hydrant connection having a diameter of more than 2-1∕2 inches.
- Where fire hydrants’ water supplies are out of service for any reason like maintenance or repairs, an apparent indicator will be utilized to show that the hydrant is out of service.
- Fire hydrants shall be color-coded or marked with an approved reflector affixed to the roadway surface where required.
Note: These all information is extracted from NFPA-1 code for easy understanding and if you have any questions then you can ask in the comments box.
Watch the following videos regarding fire hydrants. These are in Urdu / Hindi language:
7 thoughts on “Where should fire hydrants be installed?”
good work Er. Tanveer ….Keep posting more informational videos….
Thanks for liking, I will upload more, Insha-Allah
Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It is the little changes that produce the largest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!
I just couldn’t depart your web site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information an individual supply on your guests? Is going to be again regularly to inspect new posts
Ok noted and thanks